Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Why I like NOT being a full time writer

Wait what?


Yup. I said it. There are (a few) things I like about NOT writing full time. I randomly thought of this yesterday while watering flowers. And here are my reasons why.

Writing is NOT my source of income. I work full time as a nurse. And I enjoy it (most of the time). Having a job not related to writing takes any and all pressure off of sales. I don't have to worry about pushing my books, begging for reviews (honestly, it kinda annoys me when I see authors asking over and over and over for people to write reviews because it helps sales), or writing in the 'hot' genre in hopes of getting my name out there. I know how hard it is for many authors to financially make it. And I don't want to make it seem like I'm all about money, but it's kinda hard not to in this day and age. I like NOT worrying about bills and having the means to go out and do fun things. And this ties in with reason number two...

I write because I want to. I LOVE writing. Not having the pressure to write to pay the bills makes me enjoy writing even more. It never feels like a job to me. I write because I want to.

It's great stress relief. When I've had a long day at work, coming home and being able to write is always something to look forward to.

Not a long list, I know, but it's enough to make me grateful (on some days) to have another job. But there are many, many days when I think that staying home in my jammies or sitting out in the sun with my laptop beats getting dressed and being on my feet for 8 or 9 hours. And now that our daughter will be here in a matter of days or weeks (PLEASE be days!!) being able to be a stay at home mom who also writes full time sounds very appealing.

So maybe someday I will hang up my stethoscope and sit at the keyboard full time, and I'd be very happy about that. Though, I really do like being a nurse. I like taking the time to help people. I like making people feel better. I like knowing that taking care of a patient in turn takes care of their families, and just that little 'thank you for taking care of my dad/mom/brother/sister/wife' is more than worth it. Maybe someday I will write a post on all the reasons I love being a full time writer. Only time will tell. :)

2 comments:

  1. I was just checking to see if the new one was out yet and saw that and it got me worried. I was afraid Amazon had found some rediculious reason to close your account. There known to do that. I hope the new one will still be avaliable in digital format.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On another note I have worked at home for some time now. I have two successful businesses and there both online. The kind of freedom it gives me I wouldn't give up for anything. My husband and I (who also works at home with me) can close our laptops and take off whenever we feel like it. We can shut the stores down at any given time and take off for parts unknown for days at a time if we feel like it. All of the random events that pop up when your kids are young can cause all kinds of problems when you work outside of the home but there not an issue when you do.
    Recently my husband flew to Ohio for his 25 year High School Reunion. The invitation suggested business attire and he joked he was going to wear pajamas

    ReplyDelete