Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Morning Sickness Relief

I know this post isn't what I typically write about, but in the off chance I can help another mama to be, I wanted to share my tips.From weeks 6 and on, I had about a hour a day when I didn't feel like puking my guts out. The rest of the day was spent forcing myself to eat and devolution a strong sense of will power to keep from barfing in public. As much as I love being pregnant, and I am so incredibly grateful for my baby, (YES the nasty symptoms are SO worth it!!) feeling nauseous all day is not fun.

My doctor gave me Zofran, which is the strongest anti-emetic that they will prescribe, and it did not help at all. Feeling hopeless, I spent a great deal of times looking up tips and home remedies to help myself feel better, and not too many of them helped. Through trial and error, I was able to figure out what helped me. If you feel all hope is lost for you, try one of these and see if it helps!

1.) Take a nap. I felt the worst after I ate anything. It was so disappointing and annoying to choke down nutritious food for the baby only to throw it up. I found that eating (small meals) and then laying down prevented that. I never took naps before I was pregnant, but now I'm so tired they are really helpful. Being tired increases morning sickness, so rest, rest rest! (This will be hard if you have other children or work a job that doesn't allow you to sit and slowly eat, so take advantage of it while you can.)

2.) Protein. For some reason, eating foods high in protein helped combat the sickness. Hard boiled eggs, slices of cheese, and peanut butter on apples or celery made up a large portion of my diet during the first trimester. I am extremely cautious of listeria so if I was able to stomach something more substantial, I would boil or bake the meat,even if it was prepackaged as precooked or came from a fast food place (Summer sausages, hot dogs, hamburgers, tacos, and lunch meats can contain that bacteria. Cooking it at a temp above 165 F will kill all the bacteria. You can microwave it too, but I don't trust that to be 100% effective in killing listeria. When it comes to a bacteria that can kill you baby, don't take the risk. Bake or boil!)

3.) Fresh fruits and veggies with little to no dipping sauces. I don't know how many cherry tomatoes or blueberries I ate! I had an apple or a banana every single day as well. Fruits and veggies can also carry listeria, so I washed mine with soap. We only use Seventh Generation brand cleaning supplies, which is natural and non-toxic. As long as you rinse the soap off, you cannot taste a difference. (And you'll feel better knowing the nasty bacteria is gone!)

4.) Drink water before getting out of bed. It took me a while to realize that part of why I felt so awful in the morning was due to going 8-9 hours without drinking anything other than the sip of water I took when I got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I found that keeping a bottle or glass of water next to my bed and drinking the entire thing before getting up helped me not only feel so sick, but dizzy and weak as well. My blood pressure dropped quite a bit during the first tri (due to dilated blood vessels) and staying hydrated helped with that as well.

5.) Don't let your stomach get empty. It's really hard to eat once you've gotten to this point! This also took me until about 9 weeks to really figure out. It is so hard to eat when I felt sick, and even harder after throwing up. But when I got to the point of being starving, the nausea was so much worse. I try to eat constantly throughout the day, and when I can't handle food, I sip 100% juice.

6.) Take PNV at night. I used to take my vitamins in the morning but there was something about them (maybe the high iron?) that didn't sit right in my stomach from about 7 weeks and up. I take them right before I go to bed, and I'm usually asleep before it upsets my stomach.

7.) Take a fiber supplement. Being constipated is another normal pregnancy symptom. Being constipated and  nauseous makes for one uncomfortable mama.

8.) Salty foods helped calm my stomach for some reason. I put salt on almost everything I ate. Be careful with this one, though, especially if you have heart problems of high blood pressure.

9.) Vegetable soup was another thing I was able to eat without throwing up. I don't know why. I could tolerate the smell and the taste. Not even bland Ramen stayed down. The Campbell's 'to go' veggie soup was a lifesaver some days.

10.) Snuggle with your husband, children, or dog. Vader was a very good 'doctor dog' while I was sick. he took naps with me almost every day and patiently laid by my side when I was curled up on the bathroom flood. My husband was great with rubbing my back to try and distract me or make me more comfortable. It won't make the sickness go away, but it certainly won't hurt!

11.) Accept help if it is offered. This goes back into being tired increasing nausea. My parents and my in-laws were wonderful. My mother in law brought me dinner many times. I'm not the kind of person who likes accepting help (I feel bad for 'making' someone do something for me) but it was really helpful to not have to worry about making dinner for myself or for my husband. There were times when I was too sick or too tired to take care of my ferrets and horses; it was beyond nice to have my dad, mom, and sister take over for the day!

The only 'normal' MS tip that helped me was drinking ginger ale. I would stick a straw in the can and sip it throughout the day. I tried nibbling on crackers all day but the dryness of them made me feel even more sick after a while, but it did help for a while (like an hour or so-and I preferred oyster crackers over saltines for some reason lol) Another great tip is if you are worried, call your doctor!!

I hope this helped! I know it's hard by try and relax and have a healthy pregnancy! :)

10 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you are so sick with your (first?) pregnancy. The Duchess of Cambridge and I also had this problem, although many decades apart. We both had to be hospitalized. My second and third pregnancies did not have this horrible unending unfixable illness. But the first, well, even the meds they gave me to combat it were expelled, thus the hospital.
    I am so excited for you and your husband, hoping your sickness ends soon so you can really experience the anticipation and hope that a new life brings.
    Soooo, is Orissa preggers too? When do we get to find out? Soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is our first! We are so excited!! I got Zofran and it didn't work for me either. So sorry you had to go through it too :( But, I would suffer a million times more for our little girl :)

      Delete
  2. I had no idea you were pregnant. You Bio only mentioned a husband, your handsome dog, and the ferrets (we also have a ferret). Writing, nursing school, and a new baby? My goodness your going to be one busy lady. I've also been wondering if Orissa will find herself pregnant since she did have a lot of unprotected sex and the story has kind of been hinting at it. I've found myself kind of hoping for it. But since your stories are far from predictable we can only wait and wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am five months now :) We are having a little girl and couldn't be happier!! A lot of people have asked about Riss getting knocked up. I don't want to give anything away of course, but I will say it wouldn't be fun to write about a pregnant Orissa while Hayden and the others (who are still alive...) go out on missions. But, I'm not saying it won't happen either ;)

      Delete
  3. I've been meaning to ask if you've ever been to Marble Falls Arkansas? I was born and raised in Arkansas and live about 45 minutes from Marble Falls. There is a Motorcycle Rally up there once a year and a restaurant that's a popular destination for bikers riding through the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been there. I spent a few days researching place for the setting of the compound to be. I wanted somewhere that was warmer in the winter than where I live; it would be awful here! It was only 19 degrees today...on the first day of spring...lol. Anyway, I discovered Buffalo River and that's what helped me pick the location. I spent more time looking at google maps of the location, tons of pictures, and youtube videos to get a feel for it. My husband has a motorcycle. I can easily convince him to take me there now! :)

      Delete
  4. I've canoed the Buffalo River and the Mulberry river and I've been up and down just about every Ozark Mountain road. I'm biased because I live here but its very beautiful. Plus you guys could claim the whole vacation as a tax deduction ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing these tips. Awesome . There is similar blog on pregnancy and morning sickness :- http://tinyurl.com/kja6gzj

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanx for sharing this informatic information, i found some similar information on this topic also see this information;
    http://tinyurl.com/k44olle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much.The resoure is super awesome. I’m alwasy looking for more tips and
    great information.Great tips! try to visit :http://tinyurl.com/pz3g26m

    ReplyDelete