Monday, July 9, 2012

Time, time, time

Only three more weeks left, only three more weeks left...that's what I keep telling myself about school. I love school, I love nursing, and I love learning...but I love not having homework even more. My last day of summer school seems so far away. Ugh, I cannot wait! I don't think people really understand just how much work nursing school is. Granted, the summer semester is accelerated so it's more work than normal. I literally do so much homework! I've only written maybe two chapters since I started school over a month ago.

I have 42 hours of just classroom school a week. And, because I'm weird, I broke down the week into hours.

There are 168 hours in a week. Minus the 42 for being in school and I have 126. For every hour in the classroom you should ideally spend two studying. Since 24 of those hours are spent at the hospital, I spent roughly 36 hours a weeks studying and another 2 working on papers and projects. That brings me down to 88 hours left. Take out 6 hours each night for sleeping: 46. Then factor in driving to and from school (one clinical is about an hour away), cleaning the house, making dinner, taking care of my horses, dog, and ferrets, and then the fun stuff. Really, I have no time for myself!

But it's worth it. And it's not impossible. My point isn't to whine about how busy I am (though I do to my husband; he gets to hear just how tired I am everyday lol) but it's so say if I can do it, so can anyone else! Really, if you put your mind to something, you can do anything. (Well, not anything...don't jump off a roof expecting to fly.)

Hard work and dedication pay off in the end. It sucks while you're doing that hard work. It does, no matter what people say, I know that it sucks big time. It's not fun staying up working on homework or cleaning or whatever. But it is worth it.

I stay up after I do my homework to write. I haven't been able to write as much as I'd like, but I'm still doing it. I have to find the time and stay disciplined. For me, that's hard. I'm a very easily distracted, I-wasted-an-hour-watching-Youtube-videos kind of person.

Self confidence was never my forte. In order to get through this and stay positive and happy, I had to learn how to become my own cheerleader. And I had to relearn my sense of time management. I have a planner that keeps me in line lol. I try to do everything on my list and when it's done, it's time to play :)

So, don't give up on yourself or your dreams just because it is hard. School seemed soooo overwhelming at first. It's no cake walk, but it's not that bad.

As Orissa would say, "you don’t give up just because something is hard. The harder it is, the more it’s worth it in the end."

3 comments:

  1. Orissa was right!
    I do know how hard nursing school is. I did X-ray tech school in the nineties and the studying was so hard, the "practicals" (working in a hospital)were so hard and you have to pass or you don't get your degree or certification or whatever. You want to do more than pass, to get the job you want. So you study, you work in a hospital doing the work of a nurse (or in my case taking x-rays in patients rooms, in the ER or in the imaging dept.) and you are not making money doing any of this. At least I wasn't.
    But when you are finished you feel like you really accomplished something. And you have.

    ReplyDelete