Monday, July 23, 2012

My stomach as been in knots over this

It's the call you never want to get. The one that makes your heart plummet into a black pool filled with icy water. The one that you hope is a joke-a sick joke but a joke nonetheless.

Thursday morning, I learned that my friend Kelly's two daughters were in a horrible car accident. The girls are 5 and 7. Being driven by their dad's fiance, the girls were on their way to their grandparent's house. As they rounded a curve in the road, a SUV going way over the speed limit crossed the center line and hit them head on. The driver of the SUV was either drunk, texting, or both. It's still under investigation. The SUV hit them, veered off the road and rolled. The driver is in critical condition. 


The fiance died soon after the crash. Both girls were in extremely critical condition. It had been storming all night and continued on until morning, making it impossible for the medical helicopter to get there. The girls had to be transported by ambulance to a nearby hospital. 


The 7 year old suffered massive brain trauma. She is in a medically induced coma and had a craniotomy done soon after the accident to try and reduce brain swelling. Her neurological status is currently unknown. The 5 year old suffered from many breaks and fractures, but has been moved out of the ICU. She's a fighter for sure.


I cannot imagine being a mother and having to see this happen to my children. Even worse, the girls are in different hospitals. (One is in Indy and the other in Chicago) I know they are in the best care possible. I know the doctors and nurses are doing everything they can. I know that kids have a way of 'bouncing back'. Still, I'm so worried. It's not fair. Why did this have to happen to innocent children??

When something like this happens, it's like life slapping you in the face. Certain things just seem so trivial. I am alive, I am healthy. I got to live my life today and it was a gift, a gift I dare not to waste. Every morning, I am lucky enough to wake up and have a fresh start. When things seem bad, I need to remember that. I will go through hard times, but they will get better.

And I am alive.

I (along with several amazing friends) are putting together several fundraisers for Kelly. We are hosting a poker run (it's a fun motorcycle thing to raise $, in short lol) and a car wash. I am donating 100% of the money I make on Beyond the Sea to Kelly and her girls. (Spread the word! I want to give as much as I can to them)

If anyone lives in the NW Indiana region and wants to participate, that would be awesome! Please keep Kelly and her girls in your thoughts and prayers; they deserve a miracle.

Life is a gift. Please don't waste it. There are people who would do anything for just one more day.

2 comments:

  1. I can only imagine what your friend Kelly must be going through, and you who know them. So very sorry. These types of things always make us feel so fortunate that we and our loved ones are alive and well. I have not read Beyond the Sea, only the Contagium Trilogy (for which I am impatiently waiting for the next book)but I am going to read it and Reaper. I hope you continue to let us know how the girls are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Her girl with the brain trauma is showing positive signs on her EEG. I think all the prayers are helping!

    ReplyDelete