Friday, April 6, 2012

I've come to suck your blood

I have this totally irrational fear of needles. Not of all needles, just needles that are going to stick me. I can give a shot, take blood, watch surgery, clean necrotic tissue from a wound (I pretty much love gross stuff) but I FREAK out when someone has to take my blood.

One in seven people admitted to the hospital needs blood, someone needs blood every couple seconds, and one pint of blood can save three lives.

I decided to get over my fear and donate blood.

My heart was beating so fast (96 BPM haha) when they did the initial assessment and I was so scared I was almost shaking. Luckily my wonderful friend K was with me to laugh at me and calm me down. I couldn't look when the phlebotomist stuck the needle in. The needle, BTW, is bigger than 'normal' so the platelets don't break apart when leaving the vein.

I could barely feel the needle once it was in my arm. I was told I have 'good blood' and my bag filled really fast (like only 10 minutes) due to being well hydrated. So, it wasn't bad at all. I feel good about donating blood and I hope it can go to someone who needs it! I will definitely be donating again in the future and I encourage others to donate as well! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment