Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Unbound

First off, the original version of Unbound was oer 136,000 words. I was told that was 'too long' for a YA book, so I cut out like 30,000 words. And it sucked ass. I added back another 17,000 and it was better. I just added another 1,000 or so, give or take.

I mostly took out 'horse talk'. Since I'm a horse person, it's not uncommom for me to talk about horses and horse stuff and think everyone else knows what I'm talking about. Anora is a horse person too, and I wanted to show that. I realized, however, that I didn't need to go into detail. I wrote a scene about Anora and Laney at a horse show. It had nothing to do with the plot. So that got taken out.

I write too much. I'm always able to take out at least 5,000 words from my books. I like writing character development and details, but I think you have to be careful not to cross the line into boring. I think the scene I added back into Unbound is important, and I'm mad at myself for taking it out. *sigh* What's done is done, right?

It's in there now.

No comments:

Post a Comment